Need Help Choosing a Color?
Color has no rules or boundaries. It's all about your style, your taste and your experiences. Need inspiration? Just look around you: A summer bouquet, a walk in the woods, a basket of apples or a glimpse of a distant peak can be your first step into a world of color. Try our color visualizer.
Bring Your Inspiration to Life
You can find inspiration every day. Gather images and objects with colors that please you, such as favorite photos, magazine clippings, treasured possessions, or items from your home. Spread them out and narrow your selection to just the pieces that you like best. Next, find paint chips that match or complement your inspiration. With them, you can begin your color scheme.
Plan Around Existing Elements
Before finalizing your color scheme, look around the room you plan to paint. Consider the colors of things you can't change, such as flooring, window treatments, fabrics, wall coverings, countertops, or stone or brick features. Remember to work these tones into your color scheme.
See How Light Affects Color
Also, consider your lighting. Every home has unique lighting conditions that can change the way colors look. For example, a room filled with sunlight will give you the truest color representation, while incandescent light adds a warm undertone. Check your colors by holding paint chips against your walls, or by painting small areas with actual samples of your choice. Take the guesswork out of choosing colors with our 8-oz. sample sizes mixed in any color.
Choose Your Sheen
Finally, choose your sheen - it affects both appearance and performance. Sheens range from flat, which is the lowest sheen, to glossy, which is the highest. The higher the sheen, the shinier and more durable the finish will be. Make your selections according to your home's demands.
- Exterior Sheen Guide
- Flat: A soft matte finish to hide imperfections.
- Satin: A pearl-like finish for extra wear-and-tear protection.
- Semi-Gloss: A polished sheen for superior durability.
- Interior Sheen Guide
- Flat: A soft matte finish designed to hide imperfections. Ideal for walls and ceilings.
- Ceramic Flat Enamel: A durable matte finish that’s excellent for hallways and children’s rooms.
- Eggshell: A low sheen with greater durability and washability. Ideal for all living areas.
- Satin: A pearl-like finish for extra wear-and-tear protection. Perfect for all living areas.
- Semi-Gloss Enamel: A durable, polished sheen excellent for cabinets, bathrooms, doors and trim.